Tuesday, August 2, 2011

slacker

I just read my last post...yes, I am a slacker. Here's the thing: the stuff i think is important enough for other people to know, I post on facebook. There is stuff I don't want to put on facebook, but want to document here, but the problem is that I feel like it has to be all witty or profound or well-written With Caps in the Appropriate Places...and that's just not who I am right now. Right now, I am lucky to remember to put shoes on before getting in the car to drive my son to kindergarten. Any free time I do have, I attempt to connect with my kids, or husband (what's a date again?), or I spend socializing on facebook, because that's how I spend my downtime. Being a natural hermit, I feel no shame in that..at least I'm building relationships, even if they are digitally based. So, I'm relieving myself of any expectations of greatness on this blog.

Here's my life right now, in a nutshell: we are moving....eventually. We're working hard to get the house up to snuff to get on the market. I'm exhausted, working tirelessly, putting in tile, painting, repairing things, packing and cleaning. In a couple of weeks I start fall semester of my last year of my (finally!!!!) bachelor's in Psych. To finish on time, I am taking 15 credit hours (5 classes), all psych classes. I'm 'psyched' (hahaha) for all of the classes I am taking, but am, not quite sure how I will deal with the stress of a heavy school load, driving my kinder kiddo everyday (50 min round trip), while keeping the house spotless and ready to show to potential buyers at any given minute.

Brandon switched positions this year. Same school, different scenery. He is teaching in a self-contained classroom with the emotionally disabled kids who can't be in the mainstream classroom. He's loving the challenge, and feeling like he is actually TEACHING again. He teaches all subjects to his five students, and has renewed appreciation for elementary school teachers...the amount of planning involved when you teach all subjects is something he's never experienced before.

Ben started middle school (yikes!), he's at brandon's school, and he's really enjoying it. He's taking a magazine publishing class and loves it. He's finally enjoying math, now that memorizing facts is past, and he's quickly becoming a teenager.

Isaac started the school year with a great new teacher, and he's making new friends, since his best friend from last year is being homeschooled this year. :( I'm excited that when we move out to vail when our house sells, Isaac will know several of the kids at church, and it sounds like some of them are in his class, so it will be good to solidify those friendships.

Jon started kinder...he's thriving, and overcame his shyness quickly this year. He's starting to read, and is very academic. he's growing up way too fast.

Sariah is almost two...'nuff said. Thank goodness the Lord knew I could only handle one girl. The amount of emotional energy she has tries my patience. I guess it's good to still learn and grow as a mom after four kids. When she's not being emotional, she is a burst of sunshine who lights up our family.

That's the update, maybe you'll see me again around the holidays..if I'm still alive.

4 comments:

Daniel Coleman said...

I'm no internet history expert, but it seems like this is the stuff blogs were first intended for. Great to hear what's going on with everyone. Good luck with your last semester. At least there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

Teaching elementary IS so much more challenging because of all the planning involved- but teaching the same subject to teenagers is challenging in other ways- I'd much rather plan a lot than have to deal with so much attitude and hormones :) It sounds like you guys will be as busy as us this year- I'm going to be teaching with a 35 min commute one way, and Jon will continue working full time with a similar commute and finish up a masters in engineering. I hope your house sells quickly so you can stop having to make that crazy drive! Love ya!

Kevin Zimmerman said...

I can't believe you're going to be taking 5 classes -- you're a trooper! That's incredible. I do hope you get through it without having a nervous breakdown! Thanks for the update! The kids are cute.

Kevin Zimmerman said...

I can't believe you're going to be taking 5 classes -- you're a trooper! That's incredible. I do hope you get through it without having a nervous breakdown! Thanks for the update! The kids are cute.